Alquézar: rural tourism, lodging, activities and services
Alquézar, a wonderful place to visit
The Medieval Township of Alquezar is found on the banks of the River Vero, practically in the centre of the province of Huesca, in the county of the Somontano of Barbastro. It is situated at an altitude of 660m on one of the sierras parallel to the Pyrenees mountain range, the Sierra de Guara.It is perfectly integrated into a striking landscape, headed all the while by the valley of the River Vero. The beauty of the village of Alquezar and its setting is such that, in 1990, the Government of Aragon was led to declare it “Nature Reserve of the Sierra and Canyons of Guara.”
In the last 10 years Alquezar has been improving and modernising its infrastructure and services, expanding its potential for tourism….. turning itself into one of the most talked about villages of the Somontano County. Nowadays it is the most frequently visited tourist destination of the aforementioned Sierra de Guara.
Alquézar today is:
- A Medieval Town that conceals a great legacy of art and culture, with emphasis on its majestic Collegiate (declared National Monument in 1931) and its collection of ancient buildings declared Historic-Artistic Monument by UNESCO in 1982.
- The point of departure for numerous hiking and all-terrain cycling routes.
- The point of departure for the descent of the most legendary rivers and canyons of the Sierra de Guara, headed by the River Vero, Barranco de los Oscuros del Balced,Barranco del Mascun, Formiga, Peonera….
- The meeting point for Hikers, Walkers, Nature Lovers, Birdwatchers, Cyclists…and no end of outdoor activities.
Alquézar. Tourist Services we can find:
- Tourist Office. Tel. 974318940
- Casa Fabian Ethnological Museum. Tel. 974 318 913
- Guiding Service and Activities in the Natural Environment: Vertientes Aventura - The Guides of Alquezar Company. Tel. 974 318 354.
- Numerous possibilities of board and lodging: hostels, apartments, campsites, hotels, holiday cottages…
Notably, the Albergue (hostel) Tintorero and the Espartero apartments. Tel. 974 318 354.
- Numerous bars, summer terraces and restaurants.
- Food shops, arts and crafts shops, souvenirs….
- Antique shops.
- The chance to visit different vineyards of the Somontano region.
Alquézar. General information:
- County: Somontano of Barbastro.
- Province: Huesca.
- Population: 312 (2005 census).
- Altitude: 660 m.
- Area: 32.36 sq. km.
Alquézar. What to visit ?:
- Collegiate of Alquezar
- Smile at the Wind Viewpoint
- San Miguel Church
- O’Bicon Viewpoint.
- Town Square- Plaza Mayor
- Gothic Gateway
- Chapel of Our Lady of the Snows- Ermita de Nuestra Senora de las Nieves
- Casa Fabian Ethnological Museum
Alquézar. Essential routes in the comarca/county of Somontano:
We encourage you to get to know a bit more of the town of Alquezar, taking a peak into the more evocative corners. You can visit the Comarca del Somontano web page to obtain more information:
Routes in Alquézar
Alquézar. Where to sleep?
- Albergue Rural Casa Tintorero: prices from euros including breakfast. Tel. 974 318 354.
- Apartamentos Espartero: apartments for 7 people with all facilities. Tel. 974 318 354.
- Apartamentos Teresana: apartments for 4 and 6 people completely equipped. 2 Keys Category.
Tel. 974 318 354
Activities and adventure sports in Alquezar
The environment of the Nature Reserve of the Sierra de Guara offers an exceptional location for lovers of nature and adventure sports: canyoning, climbing, via ferrata, white-water rafting, hiking, downhill cycling, quad biking…are some of the activities you can practise.
Prices for canyon descents from canyoning1 euros (Tel. 974 318 354)
Festivals and traditions of Alquezar
- In January, pilgrimage to the chapel of San Antonio.
- Second Sunday of May, pilgrimage to the chapel of Dulcis.
- Arts and Crafts Fair.
- Summer Fiestas. 11th till 14th August in honour of San Hipolito.
- November 8th in honour of San Nicostrato.
Shopping in Alquézar
- Wines of the D.O. Somontano. You can visit some of the numerous bodegas/vineyards of the county.
- Cheeses of Radiquero.
Alquézar. Useful information
Nearest bus station: Barbastro 25 kms.
- Nearest train station: Monzon 34 kms.
- Nearest airports: Zaragoza 140 kms. Monflorite 40 kms. Barcelona 250 kms.
How to reach Alquézar
- By car:
- If you’re coming from Huesca: After a few kilometres past Angues take the slip road to the right (signed “Sierra de Guara”) to cross the N-240 in the direction of Abiego(A-1229).Alquezar is also indicated on the same sign. Continue on the same road until you arrive - about 20 minutes.
- If you’re coming from Lleida or from Ainsa/France take the third exit for Barbastro on the N-240 (direction Huesca) - just after sign for Hospital and Berbegal. Exit is signed “Colegiata de Alquezar”. Turn left at next roundabout on to the A-1232, which brings you to Alquezar.
- By bus: Cortes buses (Tel. 974311552 and 976150283) leave from the Barbastro bus station.